Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Concentration - thoughts - words - images

I have been having a hard time concentrating lately. I haven't been sleeping well. They could be related. At any rate -- I was having a difficult time last night conveying something to my husband. I realized then that the way I "see" things in my brain has changed. I used to "see" things with words -- if I had a thought I was trying to say or get a point across it was words that I was forming in my brain and almost reading them back in order to explain something or even with a regular conversation. Now, I see more images in my mind rather than words. This makes it more difficult for me because I then have to convert those images to words and then get it out of my mouth! How simple is that? Not that simple for me. Last night I had this whole storyboard of images in my mind with this story I was going to tell my husband. I couldn't get it out -- I couldn't put the words to the images and make it come out. I'm sure this sounds strange to most of you reading this, but I can't figure out another way to say it.

I tried playing golf yesterday -- my concentration just wasn't there. I didn't play too badly but it was such an effort it kind of takes the fun out of it -- if there is fun in playing golf!!!

On another note -- my new friend Bill (who also has younger on-set Alzhiemer's) and lives nearby read my post about the walking stick earlier this week and he made me one! I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm excited about getting it.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Welcome to the world of Rebus. I think that's what's its called when they do a picture instead of a word in a book. I have picture thoughts most of the time. It was one of the early changes in my brain. It can make communicating VERY frustrating. I don't understand why sometimes we can speak fluently and other times we falter. Miss seeing you and the rest of the young onset crew.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog. I am in the field of mental health (going into counseling psychology) and it is always interesting to hear a personal account of these types of problems.

Karen Lynn said...

Thanks for being brave enough to share. I am on the other end of the spectrum, caring for my mother-in-law. Maybe you could offer me some wisdom. My blog is: AreUmymother

Nurse Line said...

True an incident changes our perspective of life altogether...it's wonderful to spend time with oneself...the quite lonely moments teach us a lot sometimes.

Telephone Triage said...

Concentration is a very difficult thing...and we get to understand when doing only certain activities...Telephone Triage