Wednesday, April 13, 2005

25th Anniversary

Yesterday was our 25th wedding anniversary. I never thought I would ever be married 25 years -- it just seems like a long time -- and it is I guess -- it certainly hasn't seemed that long. My husband and I enjoyed a nice quiet dinner last night. Our son sent us a card and a nice letter. In it he said he didn't think he had ever written us a letter -- which is not true as he went away a few times and actually wrote us a letter but I don't think he remembers. With the age of email and instant communication I feel like letter writing is a lost art. But don't we all love to get "real mail" and a letter from our son was a beautiful gift. It was filled with lots of reflection on his part and he raised some interesting points -- some which need to be addressed before too long and some that he will never understand until he is a parent himelf. I used to hate it when my mom would say this to me "You'll understand when you have kids of your own" -- but it is oh so true.

Lots of wonderful things have come out of our marriage but our son is the most wonderful thing. I'm sure that all parents feel that way.

My husband --a man of few words -- also sent me a "letter" of sorts --this time electing to use the electronic version of email. He said some things I would have never expected him to say but they were nice words to read. Even though we have been married 25 years it is hard for me to figure out what goes on his mind -- for those of you that know him -- you will certainly understand. He has certainly been good to me and Alan over the years. I am not sure I have been as good -- but we are still together.

I hate the fact that "Big Al" (Alzheimer's) will be taking more of my time as we continue our journey through life. My husband didn't marry that and for that I am truly sorry.

No comments: