Sunday, January 14, 2007

Do these people know something I don't?

I'm hoping all of this is a coincidence.

1.Ten years ago I worked for a governmental agency here in town as the marketing director for special events. The agency also handled many other tasks for the city and we had about 15 employees. A friend of mine still works there and she called me and said "I have a present for you from Frances, I'll drop it by after work". (Frances being one of the employees there). I asked her why -- I haven't seen Frances in probably eight years. She said that Frances' New Year's Resolution was to thank all the people in her life that have treated her kindly and I was at the top of the list. She had thought about me a lot over the years and she said that I always did nice things for her and she wanted to do something nice for me. I was pretty shocked to hear this, but I thought that was an extremely nice gesture on her part. I always liked her and I guess the feeling was mutual.

2. When my son was in middle school and high school he was involved with a local community theatre group. He performed in many musical theatre productions. When he was in high school I joined him for a few of those performances so we could "experience the stage together". It was lots of fun for me -- probably not as much fun for him -- having your mom in a show with you when you were in high school. But that is beside the point. We obviously became friends with the director of this community theatre group but I haven't seen him in a long time. I've been to a few shows in the past couple of years, but haven't really spent much time with him to speak of. I got an email from him this weekend -- he wanted to have lunch or dinner to catch up. I was really pleased to get that email because I know how busy he is.

3. Out of the blue I received another email this weekend from a long lost friend. I haven't seen her for probably 10 years. She had gotten my email address through a mutual friend and wanted "to reconnect". We never had a falling out or anything, in fact it was a good friendship. However, we both went our separate ways both professionally and personally. We just lost touch. Now she is reaching out and I'm so glad.

So, is it just a coincidence that three people I haven't kept in touch with on a regular basis have contacted me? Or do they know something I don't?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they know something, I don't know it either. I think it would be great to hear from a lot of people in my past! I hope you feel the same. It's always good to receive compliments, especially from people you also thought highly of. I miss you and I love you! -- Elyzabeth (your neice!)

Atterberry in UK said...

You deserve the good treatment--but you should know that!

On another matter--I hope Ralph's injury is healing quickly. Wish him well for us!

P.

Deborah said...

It sounds like you are having some wonderful coincidences. I've reconnected with old friends out of the blue and it is such a gift. I enjoy reading your blog. My father had Alzheimer's disease. Your blog helps me understand the things he was feeling and thinking.
God bless.