Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Washington DC

My husband and I just returned from a Public Policy Forum on Alzheimer's in Washington DC. I was so glad to see so many people with Early On Set Alzheimer's there -- it is nice to know that you are not alone. I think we all know it, but it is nice to actually see and talk to others that have this awful disease.

The Alzheimer's Association asked me to speak at a forum on Early On Set and I am so happy that the National Office is looking into the ramifications of those diagnosed early. We have our own set of problems and I am glad to have been a part of it. There was a lot of energy in the room and I do hope that we can find some solutions to some of our problems. Thank you for all you are doing.

I was disappointed, however, to sit in on the research session only to find that I didn't really hear anything new on the horizon. The last policy session I went to and listen to those from the NIH and National Institute on Aging, I was impressed with all the strides that had been made. We all want that miracle drug if you will, but it is a long way away.

The conference took a lot out of me. I've been home for a day now and just found the words to sit down and right something in this blog. I get tired so easily and it is just harder for me to try to be attentive for three days! I did manage a nap or two while I was there, but it is extremely exhausting to me -- takes me too long to recover!

Thanks to all those I met in Washington for all you do and in helping our cause. The conference was certainly filled with compassionate people and we need to keep the fight going.

No comments: