Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Too tell or not to tell ....... Part 2

A while back I posted about the internal debate I have in my head lots of times about whether to share with people that I have Alzheimer's. It isn't something that usually comes up in conversation obviously.  Many times I fear saying something because I am afraid that people will treat me differently -- which if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you will know that is usually the case.  So, more times than not, I don't say anything.

About five months ago I started playing Pickleball a few times a week.  At times, the noise got to be a little too much, so I resorted to putting my earplugs in.  Then the distraction from other people when they were not playing bothered me, so I realized that if I stay on a certain side of the court I do better -- one without as many distractions.  Is this fair? I don't know if it is or not, but because of these things I have told a few people about my disease, partly in hopes they would then realize I was not trying to cheat by being on a certain side of the net.  I have been so pleased with the people that I play with -- they only don't treat me any differently, but now watch out for me on the court and never ask me to play on the other side of the net.  I love these people -- I feel like I am really "normal" around them!

1 comment:

ROBYN LANE said...

Good for you, and for your Pickleball buddies. :) I'm just proud of you for playing that ... I don't even know what it is! :)