Monday, December 03, 2007

The weekend

My trip to South Carolina for the Town Hall meeting was good. I got to meet some new people but, as always there is never enough time to talk to everyone. There were about 100 people at the Town Hall meeting.

One of the speakers, was a lady from South Carolina who has early stage Alzheimer's. I enjoyed laughing with her as she talked about her ways of coping. One thing she said she did as soon as she was diagnosed was to go and put names on the back of all of her photographs so everyone would know who they were. I did that exact same thing! That is what led me into doing scrapbooking. We are all so different in how the Alzheimer's affects us but it seems like we respond in so many like ways.

Before I left on Saturday I was writing some notes to people, and I just couldn't spell. Every five minutes I was asking my husband how to spell things -- and I am a good speller. I haven't figured out how to use the spell check in the blog program and since I have such a problem with synonyms (sp?) it wouldn't tell me if I was using the right word. How frustrating this is to me. It's getting much worse. I have to write and re-write just to make sense of what I am trying to say. And, if you are reading this I am sure at times you become just as confused as I do. I've also noticed that it is getting more difficult to type correctly. I've always been a very fast typist and I realize I make a lot more mistakes now. It's so frustrating I tend to scream about it at times!

I've managed to catch a pretty good cold. I've been sleeping most of the day. A few more days of rest is what I need.

More soon -- thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

My name is Nancy 45 yrs old.

I have been reading your entries for about a month- since I have been on leave from my job as an admin.
You have really given me reassurance that it will be ok (for awhile).
I too was a great speller even spellcheck couldn't recognize my words before I took time off.

I am waiting on a final diagnosis the 13th of this month.
I am taking rasadyne for 2 months now.
I can't sleep much that is why I am writting you at 4AM.

I have 3 grown sons and 1 stepdaughter and 8 grandchildren ages 1-9, 2 girls and 7 boys.

My brother has moved from out of state to be by me for support and all my other needs..he really is a joy and a great cook..he plays the guitar to comfort me and has even written me a song without words.

My oldest son lives near by and sees to me as well although his hands are full with 2 disabled (label) children. "Now grandma has a label" is the first thing I thought of when the doctors told me what might be going on.

Thank you again for sharing and commitment as I check on you almost every day.

Take care of yourself and rest.

Sincerley,

Nancy