Monday, May 11, 2009

Feedback on Alzheimer's Project

Well, I watched the Alzheimer's Project first series. Many people have logged on to the blog -- probably because of the gentleman profiled there that had a blog. My back story is that I was diagnosed 7 years ago with Early On Set Alzheimer's (not referred to as Younger On Set Alzheimer's) because I was diagnosed at an age before 65. I was 46 years old at the time.

Since I've kind of been following along with this project since its inception, I wasn't sure what the finished piece was going to feature. Like many projects, the focus of the this documentary started out entirely different --or at least that is what I remember. But, the finished product is something everyone should see. If people and mainly legislatures that see this don't realize this is a disease we need to take seriously, then I am not sure of what will convince them.

I'm looking forward to the future segments of this piece.

Some of the lines in this first episode that struck home to me were:

"That's what is so disgusting -- I feel so good......"
The disease does "not take her intelligence away" -- this is hard to accept when you can't do the simple things in life -- you know you aren't stupid --it is just the disease talking
"I have to read this a million times" in referring to a recipe -- I hate to have to do that!
"I never feel like I'm giving up" - you can't or you will.
"I don't want to be a burden" -- we all carry this I think
"One day at time" -- live in the moment
"Your judgment becomes an issue" -- how true
"my life is not that important in the grand scheme of things" -- you want to think so, but you have to know that it isn't.

I'm sure others with this disease will see what fits them. Since we aren't around others like ourselves at this stage it is almost comforting to know we aren't alone although we feel it.

For those of you that are reading this blog that need help, please seek help with either a doctor's office, an association like the Alzheimer's Association or wherever you can find what you need. Keeping this blog for years has helped and I call it my therapy -- others have their way of dealing with this as well. Find out what works for you and try to stay positive. It's hard, but when you fight something it's almost as if you are in a competition -- somebody always wants to win -- and I'm not a very good loser.

Thanks for reading and hope that you will drop by often.

No comments: