Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm here. Every time I sit down to write something, the words don't come out right or I can't get my fingers to do what they need to do on the keyboard. I find that I am making a lot of typing errors lately and it takes me forever to write something.

I go back to the doctor tomorrow. I have finished taking my daily B12 shots. I feel a little better -- a little more energy anyway. Not sure that the balance issues are any better. We'll see what the doctor has to say about it.

Lots of things have been happening with Alzheimer's related events. It seems to get busy in the fall and spring. Of course, our Memory Walk is in November. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure that our fundraising efforts will be affected. I am also still participating in a national study group about Alzheimer's issues. Those serving with me include people for the National Institute on Aging, the Veteran's Administration, the Center for Disease Control, The Administrtion on Aging and the National Alliance for Caregiving.....just to name a few. Our charge is to help define a national strategic plan for Alzheimer's. I've also been appointed to a new "Senate Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementia Study Commission" for the State of Georgia. It will be dealing with various issues including safety of persons with Alzheimer's Disease, dementia care practices and recommendations, future needs for services and the state's responsibility. The Senate resolution for this commission states that it must have a person with Alzheimer's Disease on the commission.

Also, I would like to remind everyone about the American Express Members Project. If you are an American Express card holder and could vote of the Alzheimer's initiative, the Alzheimer's Assn. has a chance of winning some money based on where the project ends up in the final list. Right now, the Alzheimer's initiative is in first place. There is still a ways to go so if you haven't voted, please do. The website is http://www.membersproject.com/project/view/OGSSPK

A shout out to a fellow blogger -- Dee in Canada. Dee's mother has Alzheimer's and she chronicle's her time with her mother. Thanks for your kind comments Dee and hang in there. We are all in this together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the mention here. I'm thankful that I still have mom and that we've been able to have some nice times together. Trying to concentrate on the here & now and not get ahead of myself. D