Monday, June 30, 2008

This and That

The weekend is over and ended with a huge thunderstorm. The wind blew over a tree about a block down the street and knocked down some power lines. We were without power for 6 hours. It was about 9:00p.m. when it happened. It was extremely warm in the house so we had to open all the windows. The bad part was that a fire truck was sitting idly in front of our house until the power company could come. The power company showed up around 2:00 a.m. with chain saws and started cutting up the tree. Finally the power was restored, all trucks left and I could finally go to sleep. The tree fell on a car parked on the street, but luckily there were no fires and no one was hurt that I am aware of. We think the wind blew the tree over but ther was some powerful lightning in the area but none of the neighbors heard anything that sounded like lightning striking the tree.

Balance issues were plaguing me a great deal this weekend. I'm not liking this one bit. I met three other ladies for brunch yesterday and had difficulty walking to the buffet line and out the door. I held on to someone to help me the rest of the way. Around the house I'm just sure not to "walk with sharp objects in my hand".

I forgot to mention that we had our captain's meeting for this year's Memory Walk about a week and a half ago. With the economy the way it is this year it may be a little more difficult to raise money but we are certainly going to try. A new friend of mine from Atlanta came over to speak to our group -- her mother is "young" like I am and has the disease. She did a great job.

Last week I went to an assisted living center about 20 miles away that has a monthly support group and talked to them. They were great and it did me good to get out and speak. I say that it is as much therapy for me as it is for them.

It's likely to be a slow week this week with the holiday. Jennifer and Alan are driving to Georgia from California starting today. They are hoping to be in Atlanta by week's end. Ralph wants to play golf tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I can play with the balance issue. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Everyone have a great week.

No comments: