Sunday, February 10, 2008

February

I can't believe it is almost the middle of February. February has always been birthday month for my family. My father and both of my brothers all have (had) February birthdays. My husband shares a birthday with one of my brothers (tomorrow, the 11th) and one of my best friends also celebrates her birthday tomorrow. Later in the month another friend shares his birthday with my other brother. I'm always amazed at how many people I know share birthdays. My husband will be 64 tomorrow. I'm only 52. And, yes, the age difference becomes much greater when you get older. But, when we got married almost 30 years ago, you couldn't have told me that!

The next few months are busy ones. I have a few Alzheimer's meetings and I am going to be a keynote speaker at a meeting in March in Albany. I've thought a lot about that particular speech and can't decide on the direction to go with it. I've learned so much since I started speaking out about Alzheimer's, that I am never quite sure what people want to hear. I'm sure I will change the presentation several times before I realize what I really need to say.

April 5th the Georgia Chapter is going to have an Early Stage Town Hall Meeting. I've mentioned these before in this blog and I would encourage you that if you are in the Atlanta area and have early memory loss, this is the place you want to be. There have been many Town Hall Meetings across the country and it is a great forum for those of us with early stage, early memory loss to get together and share ideas -- and to share ways of coping with it. There will be more information about it soon and I will post a link to it when it is up on the Georgia site.

My women's basketball team (UGA Women) are not doing too well as of late. We lost a close one to LSU today. We play again on Thursday night at home and can hopefully pull out a "W". The SEC tournament is in Nashville at the beginning of the month. We need to win a few more before getting into tournament action.

My husband and I are looking forward to meeting Jennifer's (my son's fiancee) parents for dinner in a few weeks. It's a shame we don't get together more often since they are just in Atlanta. I'm sure our respective children shudder when they think of us getting together -- especially since the wedding is just a little over six months away.

Our Memory Walk meetings start up this week. The walk isn't until November, but the whole planning thing needs to happen soon. The committee that works on our walk here in Athens is great -- they let me sit in whenever I want to. I really don't have anything to do per se, but I do kind of keep up with what is happening. The group is really committed to the cause. This year's walk is going to be November 8th.

There are many more things I was going to post today, but I will save them for another day. It's taken me a long time to write this so I'll try to post again soon.

1 comment:

Carol D. O'Dell said...

HI K,

I'm Carol D. O'Dell, author of Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir.

I cared for my mother for 15 years--she suffered with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, and the last three years were in my home--along with kids, dogs, cats, and hubby.
So I know some of what you're going through. Marriage--your spouse--it's different. Deeper in some ways.

I'm also from Georgia--Atlanta! We moved to North Florida a few years ago, but I'm still an Atlanta girl.

I too speak/present on Alzheimer's. I hope to run into you some day.
Thanks for your voice. The more we talk, share, and express what's happening, perhaps all our voices will make a difference.

~Carol D. O'Dell
www.mothering-mother.com